What is foundation makeup? Foundation serves as a base for the rest of your makeup. When used properly, it has the added benefit of evening out skin tone and reducing the appearance of blemishes and imperfections. There are four types of foundation that offer differing levels of coverage:
• Light coverage foundation evens out skin tone and is ideal for people who want a really natural finish
• Medium coverage foundation hides minor imperfections but still gives a natural look
• Full coverage foundation reduces the appearance of all blemishes and imperfections, so it's important to match it to your skin tone—make sure to use our virtual try on! Buildable coverage is versatile and lets you layer it to get your desired effect.
If you are wondering which foundation is right for you, take advantage of Estée Lauder's live chat service and speak directly to our talented beauty advisors. They can help you find the right finish, shade and coverage for your specific skin type and desired look. Booking a 1-on-1 Virtual Consultation or tuning into our monthly livestreams will help you craft your ideal beauty regimen.
Even the most beautiful natural makeup looks tend to include foundation, but it's vital that you use one that's suited to your skin tone and skin type. For example, Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup comes in over 60 shades. It’s for all skin tones and all undertones, so you can match it perfectly to your skin. It has a cashmere matte finish and offers buildable coverage. Thousands of women say it’s the best foundation out there. Here are our top foundation tips on how to apply foundation:
• Start with your skincare regimen: Cleanse, tone, add serum, moisturise, use eye cream, and apply a face mask, primer, or setting spray if required
• If you have blemish-prone skin or experience breakouts that you need to cover up with concealer, use it before foundation • Apply liquid or cream foundation to the back of the hand you don't write with, then use a sponge or brush to blend it into your skin from the centre of the face outwards
• For powder foundation, use a brush to generously apply the product to your face using large, circular strokes
Are you wondering, what is my foundation shade? To find out the best shades of foundation for your skin, take a look at Estée Lauder's foundation shade finder. You get personalised recommendations by answering a few questions about skin intensity, undertone, desired coverage, finish (matte, semi-matte, or radiant glow), and skin type. You can also use our virtual try on exclusively on your mobile device to find your perfect foundation shade match.
What is the best everyday foundation? This is entirely dependent on your skin and how you want the desired finish to look. Everyday foundation and makeup routines differ slightly from person to person. If you have any questions, our free beauty advisor services can help you find the foundation that's best suited to your needs. Different occasions call for different foundations, so it’s important to have a few in your wardrobe. Whether you’re going to the gym, brunch with friends, or an important event, we have you covered.
Choose Your Foundation
Coverage + Care
FUTURIST HYDRA RESCUE
MOISTURIZING MAKEUP SPF 45
- • 12-hour radiant glow. Full coverage.
- • Flawless radiant finish.
- • Soothes, protects and hydrates
with high-performance skincare.
- • Infused with probiotic technology
and chia-seed extract.
Full Coverage vs. Sheer
STAY-IN-PLACE MAKEUP SPF 10
Full Coverage Matte Finish +
SHEER LONG-WEAR MAKEUP SPF 20
Sheer Matte Finish +